OLPC: Give One Get One, right now

by Greg DeKoenigsberg

I’ve been demoing this little green laptop for months. Everywhere I go, it’s a star, and everyone who sees it always asks me the same question: when can I get one? Finally, I have an answer: right now. But you’d better hurry, because they are only available for another 12 days. And here’s a little secret: it’s a really good deal.

The mission of One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) is ambitious: to empower the children of developing countries to learn by providing one connected laptop to every school-age child. To accomplish this ambitious goal, the project needs supporters who believe in this goal. Until November 26, OLPC is sponsoring the Give One Get One program in the United States and Canada. During this time, you can donate the revolutionary XO laptop to a child in a developing nation, and also receive one for the child in your life in recognition of your contribution.

Beyond idealism, there’s one great pragmatic reasons for doing it: it’s a great value. The purchase price is $399 plus shipping and handling, but $200 of that is a tax write-off. Also, everyone who gets an OLPC will also receive free wifi service from T-Mobile for one year.

Do the math: for a little over $400, you get a revolutionary laptop (value: $200), free wifi service for a year (value: $350), a tax write-off (value: a few bucks, maybe more depending on your financial situation), and the knowledge that a child in the developing world has a chance that he or she would never have had otherwise (value: priceless).

It’s the best Christmas deal out there. Go take advantage of it. Right now.

11 responses to “OLPC: Give One Get One, right now”

1. Tsiolkovsky says:

Too bad this is limited only to two countries of the world :(

2. John Drinkwater says:

Same thoughts as Tsiolkovsky, I’ve been waiting for months to order 2, receive 1, to then be told it’s not available in the UK :(
    Will there be any chance for us over here?

3. Martin Bøgelund says:

Same as above. I would like to get the chance to give 1 and get 1 over here in Denmark (Europe). In online fora and discussion groups I visit, others are stating the same wish.

I hope that the US+Canada offer is just an initial test, and that the concept will be spread to other countries if the evaluation period is a success.

So, please, citizens of USA and Canada, buy lot’s of OLPCs!

4. Justin Lawrence says:

Me too :( I guess South Africa will be 133rd on the list..

5. Larry Lurex says:

Sadly, alot of US buyers will post them on ebay just to make a profit…

6. Slawko says:

Larry, it doesn’t matter. As far as I understand one would be given to the child anyway, so who cares what the buyer do with the other one?

Great idea, I hope that lot of people will buy this laptop. I’d like to have one by myself but I’m not in US.

7. Elliot says:

I’m in the US and placed an order, but how can you say it’s a great deal when Dell is selling new Vista laptops for less? (e.g. the Vostro 1000)

8. Peter says:

I had also been planning on a 2 for 1 purchase but the offer is not valid in Australia.

9. Jeanne says:

Elliot, I seriously doubt that Dell will be donating a free Vista to a child in an under-developed country for every one they sell in the US or that $200 of the price will be tax deductible!

10. Ross says:

I am not sure if I would subject a child in an undeveloped country to a computer running Vista! But I am lobbying staff in my office to participate in this program.

11. Rindra says:

This is a great initiative!
    I wish I could buy 100 of them for the children in Madagascar. Also, I wish our government will be bold enough to take care of the needs of children.