Inside One Laptop per Child: Episode 04

by Julie Bryce

Download this video: [Ogg Theora]
Video by Simple Coat. Produced by Julie Bryce, Kristin Hondros, Kim Jokisch, and Tim Kiernan.

(video)  Episode 04 takes us on location in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Where the first batches of XOs have been delivered and deployed. Meet the teachers using the laptops in the classroom. Where besides doing daily assignments on the machines, some students have already learned programing. Local culture has permeated the project, and as a veteran school principal explains, an improved education is set to equip a new generation of Brazilian citizens. Watch past episodes.

23 responses to “Inside One Laptop per Child: Episode 04”

1. robin vuchnich says:

wonderful! inspiring! kudos to all involved.

2. joa says:

on the right side of the graffiti
    says:

….”Dedicated to all the people that I consider: doped, stoned, knocked out, stuperous, stufafected, (+ all the similar words you can imagine)”…

(that’s why the guy laughes silently)

3. Philip Macpherson says:

A great episode, the best yet in my opinion. Anyone know where to get those orange XO shirts? Also just curious, but why is the video No derivatives? As it would be nice to be able to use the interviews contained in the episodes for other things.

4. Nina Antonioli says:

These XO shirts served in the international fair of the free software (FISL8.0), that occurred in April of 2007, in our city Porto Alegre, where the t-shirts was our “uniform” in the event. The pupils had explained the functioning of laptops for the visitors, together with professionals from OLPC, therefore, all had dressed “the oranges t-shirts”.

5. Philip Macpherson says:

So the shirts were specifically made for that purpose? Is there a place where you can get other XO shirts, as they seem to be everywhere in all OLPC videos and photo’s.

Also is there any where to get all of the footage of the interviews, talks, etc. As I’d love to see more than just the edited version.

6. Nina Antonioli says:

Well, Mr. Gettys gave the t-shirt for the participants of the event. I don’t know if the t-shirts are for sold, but to have more information, it has access the site:

To see more videos about the XO experience in Porto Alegre, acess the sites:

and related videos

=]

7. Tracy Reed says:

Go Linux! Go OLPC! This is awesome. :)

8. MOacyr Dias says:

I’m brazlian. This project is very important for my country. They will are promoved the inclusion digital here. Many childrens will can have contact if a computer.

GO LINUX. GO OLPC

9. Roy Schestowitz says:

Great stuff! Thanks for the videos.

10. Felipe Alencastro says:

Pure sensationalism, showing the worst of Porto Alegre, I live in Porto Alegre, and this isn’t Porto Alegre; Pure demagogy to promove OLPC (by the way a great project) but you don’t need this to promote this project, when I first saw this movie a thought “wow I didn’t realize that I lived all my life in Bolivia or Mexico”.

Hint: OLPC is a great project, but the next time, try to show the best of him, not the worst of the city.

11. vruz says:

To Felipe:

I’ve been to Porto Alegre a number of times, and it certainly striked me the depth of empoverishement of the unlucky ones who live in the Porto Alegre outskirts, by the roadside.

It’s true Porto Alegre has a lot more to offer, and it can be a beautiful city, fully of life and colour, as many brazilian cities are.

But this is not a touristic postcard, reality check says the beauty and great things Brazil has to offer are not shared with the majority of its population.

So here’s something the world is doing to lend you a helping hand to extend the privilege of living in the beautiful Brazil, so that it reaches all of its inhabitants.

It would be nice if the already privileged ones had a positive approach to it.

Best regards,

vruz

12. José Antonio Meira da Rocha says:

Felipe Alencastro, I live in Porto Alegre, and had visited this school. I get a bit chocked by this video sound track, because seems like another “hispanic-american” city, but the music was recorded from street musician (with a leaf in mouth and guitar, instead acordeon and guitar). This editing choice was strange, but true, made with pieces of our reality. Maybe we, gauchos from Rio Grande do Sul, are more chicanos than we imagine.

13. tikka says:

I really wish, I was helping in this. I didn’t image the impact, now I do.

14. Nina Antonioli says:

Well, about the Porto Alegre’s culture, it’s important to say, its inhabitants has difficulty to visualize how much they’re Latin American. Unhappyly (for these people), Porto Alegre is not a branch office of the Europe and has poverty like common subdevelopment of Latin American, as any Latin American cities to know of this mean the obvious one… But also the video represents a look of people who saw this city, that is different of that its inhabitants think about it. This’s not a caricature: I stow with the journalists in the typical fair of the city, that occurs all the Sundays.

I agree when they had spoken that the video represents a real part of the city, but not it city all. At the same time, the video has this character of universalism: sample that the OLPC can be carried through in any city of America, that is full of colors, full of different faces, full of life!

Good times!
    =)

15. Nina Antonioli says:

16. Philip Macpherson says:

Thanks for the link Nina Antonioli. I just received a copy of Squeakers (documentary about squeak) today so it’s quite a coincidence :)

17. Chloe says:

Chloe

I am so excited you are rock man keep going hope to be one of your valued readers.

18. Floyd Campbell says:

Hello folks at OLPC.

I have for quite sometime felt encouraged by the basic idea behind your project implied by its name.

I have just watched the 4 videos at this site and feel that I understand one of the key reasons why you have been encountering difficulties selling the idea in some jurisdictions (Congratulations on Uruguay)

When you talk “Developing world” you are talking “Dark skinned people” in general.

At least that is the popular perception in countries across Africa, Asia, South America etc.

I myself a “UKBlack” person who has worked in the “Diversity Management” community for some 20 years would not be surprised if potential buyers ask the basic question among themselves when they leave meetings with you…

WHY IS EVERYBODY “WHITE?”

WHAT ARE THEIR TRUE “MOTIVES”(

Perceptions to the viewer IS reality)

I was personally disappointed to see everyone from your organisation and indeed even the children in Brazil… In your video….ALL WHITE !

I think you seriously need to address this issue.. Non white faces are not the only relevant issue of course I think proper organisation wide Diversity Management thinking will take your project a long way indeed.

If I can, I would like to help out…I have a long history in computing, I did my first computer science course 30 years plus ago and am interested in the merits of your project.. You may wish to take a look at my site with reference to the diversity management issue.

Get back to me if you would like to discuss the issue further.

Good luck anyway.

Floyd/

19. Rick Schettino says:

It’s exciting to see this vision coming to fruition. I’ve been following the story since it was first announced. Kudos and best of luck. I hope that others follow this model of humanitarian technology.

20. Leo Nunz says:

Thanks Nina Antonioli for the link, very interesting!

21. Jacob Desmond says:

Thanks to Nina Antonioli
    Actually some people had been asking whether I knew anything about this.

22. Jacob Desmond says:

From Hania Villanueva’s blog
    Sharing her experience and giving a different perspective and talking about the work of Nina Antonioli,you can get the translated version online.
    Creo que este proyecto está colmando nuestras expectativas pero además estamos descubriendo cosas que no teníamos pensado, hemos recibido con alegría comentarios de una maestra de una escuela de Porto Alegre donde se aplica una experiencia muy parecida a esta, estos comentarios nos llenan de ganas de continuar produciendo conocimientos en nuestros niños e intercambiar experiencias con otros.
    Mientras estudiábamos la producción lechera de la zona, los niños manejaron mucha información ya que la Villa es Capital de la Cuenca Lechera y esta rodeada de tambos, lo cual es muy común para ellos.
    Un niño aprovechó que su papá estaba asistiendo una vaca en el parto y lo filmó con su laptop.
    Este video resultó muy interesante para los compañeros, y fue publicado en internet.
    Esta profesora de Brasil, Nina Antonioli, comenta lo grandioso que fue para niños totalmente urbanizados que se espantarían de ver una gallina viva, poder ver el parto de una vaca y el ternero recién nacido.
    También este medio nos ha ayudado a crecer un poquito más y con el aporte de vuestros comentarios, desde Andalucía, Rafael García, de Madrid, o desde Maldonado o de cualquier lugar del planeta con aportes muy interesantes para seguir investigando con nuestros niños.
    Gracias también a Mirian, a Fernando , A Pablo, quienes siempre nos están alentando y apoyando.

Publicado por Hanía Villanueva. Fecha: lunes, septiembre 17, 2007

23. h3r0n says:

This is the first step, give a hardware to each child.
    I cannot see what a beauty and small machine can do without a good software.
    Is there a software to make children take this one and don´t go to msn or yahoo msn? Just “walk” through google and search for different things?
    If there is no software implemented to education this will not be good to classroom.
    Another view of how to educate and new softwares that increase interest in learning is the most important.